Thursday, December 20, 2012

Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, Day #2

We never know what these state parks will be like until we actually arrive and look around. All are different, some are better than others, and this one is EXCEPTIONAL. I'm SO glad that Gary brought me here, and I'll bet it won't be long until we come back here again. We slept extremly well on our first night, and Gary was off and running after breakfast. There are lots of trails here, and great roads for bike riding. There have definitely been some miles racked up on Gary's sneakers and his bike. I haven't seen him much during daylight hours, and I know he's been busy by the amount of photos he has taken. I wish I could share more of them than this blog allows for me to post. The name of the campground here in the park is Puc Puggy. I don't know if that's a real name or something made up, but it sure is a funny name. There's a lot of oddly named places in Florida, and just saying some of them cracks me up. I'm easily amused, I guess. Gary tells me there is a BIG lake near the campground. There's a paved sidewalk leading from the campground to the lake, various picnic areas, a playground, a boat ramp, and even an amphitheatre that looks out over the lake. I'm seeing all of this through Gary's eyes and pictures, but it sure looks pretty. On the opposite end of the park is the visitor's center. It has a small theatre where Gary watched a twenty minute movie about the park, and there's lots of pictures and artifacts to see. Next to the visitor's center is a fifty foot tall tower that overlooks Paynes Prairie. Right next to the tower there's a short trail called the Wacahoota. See what I mean about wierd and funny sounding names? And leading from the visitor's center parking lot are two other trails that are MILES long. Gary is saving hiking those two for a future trip. We've been fortunate to have perfect weather during the days and last night, but tonight it has rained steadily for several hours. If the weather guys are right, it is supposed to be MUCH colder here beginning tomorrow. Unfortunately, we will be leaving tomorrow, and heading about an hour south to Rainbow Springs State Park. We've never been there before, so it will be fun to see what it's like. Paynes Prairie is going to be hard to beat. I'll check in tomorrow night if we have a good internet connection. May all your camping adventures be as fun as ours. This is Toaster, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment