Sunday, August 9, 2020

Three Nights At General Coffee On The Way Home













Hello out there! How is Coronavirus summer going for everyone? Is this unbelievable, or what? All is well with us, except for the extreme Florida heat and humidity, but that's nothing new. I'm sure you're tired of hearing me whine about it, so I'll move on to the main reason I'm writing my blog today. In my previous batch of posts, I was telling all of you about our exciting fall 2019 trip into various parts of Georgia. With stops at Magnolia Springs, Watson Mill Bridge, Fort Mountain, and Fort Yargo in the rear view mirror, our final stop was at General Coffee State Park. The park is very near the town of Douglas in the southeast part of the State. It's a convenient location for us to visit, as well as being on the short list of our favorite places, so we stop there nearly every time we go camping in Georgia. It was roughly 212 miles from our stop in Fort Yargo to General Coffee, and an easy ride down US441. All of those fall colors we had encountered earlier in the trip, quickly disappeared as we headed south. We left those cooler temperatures behind us as well, although it was nowhere near as hot as it was when we first started our trip. It was still relatively pleasant during the day, and nice enough at night to sleep comfortably. Our three nights at General Coffee was spent in our usual campsite: number 38. There was only a handful of campers in the park, so it was quiet and very relaxing. I didn't include many photos with my post this time. I've posted a zillion pictures of the park previously, so I'm trying to avoid being overly repetitive. I just had to include a few pictures of our donkey friends Poncho and Jennie though. They're so cute! Gary always brings them carrots or apples or both. They always enjoy and appreciate their snacks. Our commemorative bricks are still embedded into the sidewalk in front of the park museum, so that's good. It's hard to believe our first visit to General Coffee was all the way back in 2013. Time flies! TV reception is non-existent at General Coffee, so I napped a lot while Gary and Dodge were off doing their usual things. They antique shopped in Douglas, and also in the town of Fitzgerald, which is roughly 40 miles west of the park. Gary had seen a HUGE industrial building for sale online that was located in Fitzgerald, so he wanted to see it while we were in the general area. He wasn't impressed with the building. Our trip began on October 29th, and we left General Coffee and headed home on November 13th. It was a GREAT getaway, and we enjoyed every minute of it. Here are a few stats from the trip, for those of you who like to document everything like Gary and I do: Gary and Dodge traveled a total of 1608 miles, 1030 of those miles with me in tow, and 578 miles without me, and we spent 15 nights at 5 different parks. That's about all for this time. Hang in there, stay safe, and I'll chat with you all again as soon as I hibernate for awhile. 

2 comments:

  1. Another excellent entry!! I love General Coffee and I need to put that on my "next trip list."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Het Toaster & Gary,, hope you are safe and healthy.. Happy Trail(er)s...

    ReplyDelete