Monday, November 26, 2012

One Blink.... And It Was Over

Gary and his car buddies really look forward to the Turkey Rod Run car show at the Daytona International Speedway during the Thanksgiving holiday. It's their favorite show, and also the biggest one that they attend. Since I've become their "motel" of choice during the event, I look forward to it almost as much as they do. I actually don't get to go to the show, but there are always plenty of cool cars in our campground that I get to see. Besides, you know how crazy I am about camping. Marty and Kyle (and sometimes Michael as well) come down from North Carolina to visit with us and and attend the show. It's usually the only time during the year that we get to see them. This year, they came down a couple of days early. Gary left the van outside while they were here, and I got to spend a few nights nose to nose with Marty's AWESOME '69 Chevelle. I gotta say, it was the coolest thing in the garage. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I was hitched up to the van for the ride down to Tomoka State Park. That's where we camp when we're at Daytona. This was my 4th year there. I get to hang out and relax while the boys walk for MILES through the automotive flea market and show cars. By the time they get back to the campground each night, they are pretty tired. Mini Me, or "Toasterette" as the wagon that looks like me is often called, was a BIG hit at the show. Gary told me that people were taking pictures of it and the Dodge van wagon constantly. As always, Gary, Marty, and Kyle met up with Marty's brother Ron, his son Jason, and Marty's brother-in-law Bill at the show. Bill was kind enough to take the picture of the boys with Marty's Chevelle, Ron's '67 Camaro, and the wagons. Thanks, Bill! Everyone (including me) had a TERRIFIC time, but unfortunately, the days at Daytona go by at WARP speed. Bye-bye, Daytona. We'll see you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment