Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Red Wheels, Shiny Moons, And Some Brand New Sneakers

My best buddy Gary has been VERY busy, but he somehow found the time to come up with a GREAT surprise for me. Direct from Summit Racing Equipment, I got a brand new pair of smoothie steel wheels, and a matching pair of baby moon hubcaps. The wheels and moons are made by a company called Wheel Vintiques. They are typically used on vintage cars and trucks, but they look equally cool on vintage travel trailers, if I do say so myself. I have wanted new wheels since day one. My old ones served the purpose, but they weren't in very good shape under the multi coats of red paint. Gary called them 20 foot wheels....wheels that look good from 20 feet away, but not too good if you look at them closely. They really were kind of ugly. My new wheels were gorgeous right out of the box, even though they came in gray primer. After a couple of coats of Rustoleum Safety Red spray paint, they looked even better. And those new hubcaps are much better quality than my old ones. They have a deep mirrored finish that look perfect with the red wheels. To top things off, I also got a brand new pair of Cooper Freestar sneakers (tires). After over 40,000 miles, my old tires still had plenty of tread life left, but they were made 7 years ago. Gary was getting nervous about the age of them. As much as we travel, a blowout on the road is something we DON'T want to encounter. To make matters worse, changing tires anywhere on a Serro Scotty is VERY difficult because of the tiny "swoop" wheel well openings. Gary has always dreaded removing and replacing my tires because of the difficulty involved. Believe me, I hear a lot of cuss words when work is needed that requires tire removal and replacement. These new tires, even though they are the same size as my old ones, were slightly wider. That's not a good thing when working in extremely limited spaces. My wheel well trim had to be removed, because that fraction of an inch of space made a difference in getting the new tires on. It was still a major fight, and I could do nothing but sit here and hope for the best. Luckily, it all worked out. My new improvements are breathtaking. Even my dog "Serra" approves. The days are clicking off quickly, and the long-awaited camping season is almost here. Other than my new things, I really look horrible. Polishing me is out of the question due to limited time, but I'm hoping to get a good bath before we head out. It's amazing how dirty I get just sitting here, especially after nine whole months. Expect to hear from me much more often this fall than you have during the summer. It's my favorite time to camp, and I love sharing my adventures with you. Later, my peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment