Sunday, November 25, 2018

Five Nights At Gamble Rogers



















The final stop on our first round of camping for this season was at Gamble Rogers State Park in Flagler Beach Florida. This is a very nice coastal park, just slightly north of Daytona Beach. It was our first time in this particular campsite, but our fourth time camping at the park. It's becoming a Thanksgiving weekend tradition. I hang out and relax (I know, what else is new?), while Gary goes to the Turkey Rod Run car show inside the Daytona International Speedway. This year, I didn't see any squirrels at all. As you probably know, I often count on squirrels to entertain me while Gary is off having fun. Luckily, there was a "Growing Pains" marathon on Antenna TV, and I quickly got hooked on watching that. That's a show from the 80's and early 90's, but I never saw it when it was on originally. I LIKED it! With all the car show activities, I only saw Gary when he came back to the campground to shower and sleep. I miss him when he's gone, but I'm used to it. If it isn't a car show he's at, then he's off antique shopping. He's a busy guy! He did stay at the campground on our final night, and walked the beach for an hour or so. Looks like fun. Unfortunately, there are no trees at the park to provide any shade, and it can get hot. Air temperatures got as high as 82, but my thermometer in direct sunlight read 98. That's a LOT different than the mid 60's temperatures we enjoyed in Georgia. Our five nights at Gamble Rogers went by SO quickly, but time always seems to accelerate during the camping season. Too bad that the intensely hot summer days in Florida are just the opposite. I hope we can stay at Gamble Rogers again next year. Like all of the coastal Florida parks, it's difficult to get into unless you book as soon as the rules allow, which is 11 months in advance. I know that Gary will try to reserve us a spot as soon as the reservation window opens. In this first round of camping, we spent 3 nights at Reed Bingham State Park in Georgia (campsite #1), 2 nights at O'Leno in Florida (campsite #5), and 5 nights at Gamble Rogers in Florida (campsite #37). A total of 1131 miles were logged on my buddy Dodge's odometer. I was along for 490 of those miles, while Dodge and Gary traveled 641 miles without me. As of this afternoon, we're back home in St. Augustine, and I'll be counting the hours until our next trip. Have a GREAT week, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment