Saturday, November 17, 2018

From Delays To Better Days











Hello from Reed Bingham State Park in Adel, Georgia. I am THRILLED to be here! March 2nd was a LONG time ago, and that's the last time that Gary and Dodge and I went camping together. This trip was LONG overdue, and even though I could hardly wait to get started, first things first. I like to look halfway decent when I'm out and about. I get SO dirty sitting in the garage all summer. I looked so bad it was embarrassing. I got rinsed, scrubbed, and then Gary "exfoliated" my skin with a fine grade Scotch-Brite pad. My pal Dodge got a bath too. I didn't think our camping season was going to get started at all this year. It is currently November 17th, and we were originally scheduled to be at our first destination on October 1st.  Here's what lead to the delays in leaving home:  1) We had a 20 day trip planned at 5 different parks from October 1st through October 20th. My wonderful owner and best buddy Gary had a VERY busy summer, and as the time quickly approached to go camping, he simply wasn't ready. So, we decided to reschedule that entire trip instead of cancelling it. We will now be going to all those places in February and March of 2019. Fine with me. It will be colder then than it would have been in October, and Gary and I LOVE cold weather.  2) On October 26th, we got a call from Georgia State Parks. We had camping reservations at Seminole State Park beginning on October 29th. But the park was damaged by Hurricane Michael. They needed additional time to get the park back in shape, so they gave us the option of cancelling the reservation (which we did) or rescheduling. We were also supposed to go to Florence Marina and Laura S. Walker State Parks after Seminole. We were still planning to go to both of those parks, but a couple of days before we were going to leave, Dodge's battery died, and while checking me over for the trip, Gary discovered that my electric brakes weren't working. So, we decided to take some extra days to get everything working properly before going anywhere. Better safe than sorry, right?  Finally, on what was originally going to be our third camping trip of the season, everything was set and ready to go, and here we are. We arrived here at Reed Bingham two days ago, and we've had a FANTASTIC time. Gary has gone to the nearby car show in Moultrie, and I've been hanging out here at the campground, enjoying all the sights and sounds, and feeding my little squirrel buddies. From here, we will go to O'Leno State Park near Gainesville, Florida for two nights, and then we'll head over for a 5-night stay at Gamble Rogers State Park near Daytona. Gary will be spending lots of time at the Turkey Run Car Show at the Daytona International Speedway, and I'll be doing my usual thing.  I KNOW we'll have fun. Now that we're rolling, I don't think there will be any more delays, cancellations, or rescheduling. We are booked pretty heavily from now until mid-March. I'll post as often as I can from the road, so stay tuned!

2 comments: