Friday, March 25, 2016

A Look Back At Our Camping Season, Trip #5 (December 2nd thru December 13th, 2015)

After a couple of shorter trips with only one stop each, we headed back into Georgia for a much longer one. Our first stop on this round of camping was at I-75 RV Park in Tifton Georgia. It rained heavily on our way there, and through most of the day and night. It mattered little to us. We had cable TV to die for, with more channels than anywhere we've ever been. Since we were only staying overnight, I stayed hitched up to Dodge. Gary hooked up my power and the cable TV, but didn't bother with hooking up the water supply or setting up my jack stands. Good thing, since he would have gotten drenched doing any more than he did. Although the park is right next to I-75, the noise wasn't bad. We were tired and slept well, especially after hours of watching "Flippin' RV's", one of our favorite TV shows. The weather was much better when we departed. Our second stop was at Hard Labor Creek State Park near Rutledge Georgia, roughly 177 miles north of Tifton. We had a nice campsite there, but the park wasn't overly impressive. Lots of construction was in the works, so the park will hopefully improve. The best thing that happened there, at least for Gary, was the ultra cool, ultra huge estate sale he found nearby. He spent the majority of our three-day stay there, and bought lots of fun stuff. I was kind of bored, but camping is camping, and at least I caught up on my sleep. Our third stop was at Amicalola Falls State Park in Dawsonville Georgia, another 111 miles northwest of Hard Labor Creek. This park was GORGEOUS, and high into the Georgia mountains. We had a GREAT campsite. There was lots to see and do in the park and in the surrounding areas. Gary was gone quite a bit like he usually is, but I was entertained by an abundance of squirrels, especially a cute little pregnant one that seemed to like me as much as I liked her. Amicalola has a 729 foot waterfall, the highest in the southeast. I didn't get to see it personally, but Gary spent some quality time walking the stairways that follow the waterfall from the top to the bottom. At least I got to enjoy it through pictures, and Gary took dozens of them. He also spent a morning at the Georgia Racing Hall Of Fame in Dawsonville, and had a good time enjoying all the displays there. The place looks small, but they pack a lot into a relatively little building. The Hall Of Fame shares the building with the Dawsonville City Hall. Gary and I had a REALLY fun four-night stay at Amicalola, but Dodge didn't enjoy it much. The hills were hard for him to climb, especially while towing me. And to make matters worse, a logging truck tossed up a rock and cracked Dodge's windshield. As much as Gary and I would like to go back to Amicalola at some point, I think Dodge would rather stay in Florida, or at least on flatter terrain. Our final stop on this trip was at Gordonia-Alatamaha State Park in Reidsville Georgia. Our four-night stay there was 282 miles southeast of Amicalola, and less than 200 miles from our home in St. Augustine Florida. It was an okay park, but not one of our favorites. It's located in an area that is close to a lot of antique stores, so Gary was happy about that. I had a good view of the lake across the street, and it was super quiet there. Once again, I did a lot of sleeping while Gary was out shopping. It was cool or cold throughout most of this trip, but rather warm and muggy as we headed further south. The heater stayed in Dodge, and the fan was in use the whole time we were at Gordonia-Alatamaha. Gary began catching a cold on the day we were heading home. A total of 1449 miles were traveled on this trip. I was in tow for 966 miles, while Gary and Dodge traveled 483 miles without me. There's one more trip to review, but I'll let you digest this one for a couple of days before posting again. As I type this, it's Friday, so have a GREAT weekend. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment