Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park

Hello friends and fans. Much has happened since I last posted, so I will try to catch you up on the latest happenings with Gary and Dodge and myself. We had three days at home to regroup after returning from Silver Springs. Dodge and I got baths. I guess Gary got one too, but his was inside the house instead of out in the yard. Dodge and I still had mud on us from our visit to Tomoka at Thanksgiving, and that was a LONG time ago. Gary thought he might get around to polishing me a little, but he came down with a bit of a cold on our first night home. He wasn't feeling too good for a couple of days, so the polishing got skipped, and all the necessary things got done so we could leave on our next round of camping. By the time we were ready to leave, Gary felt considerably better. This past Sunday, we headed out super early like we always do, and made our way up to Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park near Cordele. This is our first time here, but I'm sure it won't be the last. We really like it here. As you can see, we have a lakeside campsite. Even with all of the trees and grass looking dead from the winter, it's still pretty here. And since it's during the week, there are only a handful of us camping here right now. The few that are here have big motorhomes or fifth wheels, so Gary has the restroom to himself. He's enjoyed the privacy. Gary's sister Pat and her husband Dan came over from their farm in Woodbury on our first day here, and they spent the night in one of the villas that are available to rent at the resort here in the park. Pat and Dan and Gary went out to eat on Sunday night in Cordele, then met up on Monday morning for breakfast at Cordelia's inside the resort. Then they toured the Veterans Memorial museum. It has exhibits from every war inside, and various artillery and airplanes on display outside. Weather has been a problem while we've been here, so they were lucky to be able to see the outside exhibits while it wasn't raining. Pat and Dan went home after checking out everything they could here at the park. Gary was hoping to get in some picture taking, but heavy fog rolled in and spoiled the plans. It's been overcast and dismal looking when not raining or being foggy, so I guess the picture taking, beyond what I've posted here, will have to wait for a future trip. The weather hasn't effected me. I've been feeding the already porky squirrels here, and enjoying watching cable TV. We don't even have cable TV at home, so this has been a real treat. There are some WIERD shows on cable! Since it still wasn't picture taking weather today (Tuesday), Gary went antique shopping in nearby towns. He found some junk he liked, so he's happy. Unfortunately, we have to leave here in the morning. Our next stop is another park that is new to us, and hopefully it will be as good as this one is. We'll find out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment