Sunday, January 18, 2015

High Falls State Park

The second stop on our fifth round of camping, finds us at High Falls State Park. It has a Jackson Georgia address, but it's quite a ways from Jackson. It's not far off of I-75 at exit 198. This is our final day here. I would have posted sooner, but the internet connection is non-existent in the campground. Gary is typing this out for me from the campground office where there's Wi-Fi. I know he will do a good job in my absence. When we got here, the weather was pretty dismal. I guess the gloominess followed us here from our days of camping at Georgia Veteran's Memorial State Park where we were camping previously. It was dismal here the following day too, and it rained on and off all day. I slept. There was nothing else to do. There's no TV reception here either. Gary went antique shopping. That was a good thing to do on a dreary day. On our third day here, the sun finally came out. Gary took advantage of the nice weather, and took most of the pictures that you see here. That afternoon and into the night, he went to nearby Barnesville Georgia where he met up with his sister and her husband and attended an auction. He bought a rusty pedal tractor and matching trailer that he was thrilled to get. Then the next day, he went to a really cool flea market and antique shop in Indian Springs. He came back with some AWESOME stuff from there too. Poor old Dodge is nearly full. Gary continued to take pictures when he returned since the weather was so nice. As usual, I've been alone quite a bit, but the iPod has kept me company. I know most of the lyrics to the 2000+ songs on it, and I like to sing along when nobody is around. As you can see, this is a VERY pretty park. There's a big lake with a dam that I got to see when we checked in at the ranger station. The falls are downstream from the dam, and unfortunately for me, there is no vehicular access to them. Gary walked short trails on both sides of the falls to get all these pictures, so I got to enjoy the park like I usually do through the lens of his camera. There's an old power station inside the campground that's a ghost of it's former self. That's the big brick building you see in one of the pictures. The campground road goes right past it, so I got to see it. There are actually two camping areas here, one on the lake side, and one on the river side. We are in the river campground. That's the biggest of the two. The lake side campground is where most of the activities are at, including a pool for summer campers, and even a miniature golf course. It also has six yurts that overlook the lake for people to stay at that don't have campers or a tent. Near the ranger station/campground office/gift shop is a boat ramp. There are canoes, kayaks and paddleboards for rent. There are also pontoon paddle boats, which is something we haven't seen anywhere else. We have had a fun time here. I've caught up on my sleep, and Gary has gone to every antique store within a fifty mile radius. The days have been cool with temperatures mainly in the 50's or lower 60's, and the nights have been pretty nippy with temperatures in the lower 30's or higher 20's. Us southern boys who hate the hot summers are REALLY enjoying this. This is our time of year for sure. We head out of here in the morning. Our next stop is one of our favorite places, General Coffee State Park near Douglas Georgia. It's only been a couple of months since we were there last, but it's a good stopover point between where we are currently at and home. I KNOW we have a good internet connection there, so I will let you know how we are doing after we arrive. Happy Sunday from High Falls!

No comments:

Post a Comment