Friday, January 8, 2016

Red Top Mountain State Park, Cartersville, GA.

Well, it rained all the way from Fort Yargo State Park to Red Top Mountain State Park. Not an enjoyable ride getting from one place to the other, but we arrived safely and that's all that matters. At this point in our trip, the amount of rainy days we encountered was three to one over sunny days. The bad weather was getting old, but we were still having fun. At least we finally found some much cooler weather as we reached Red Top, and that's one thing we were hoping for. As we always do when we arrive at a new park we are unfamiliar with, we cruise through the campground looking for what we consider to be the perfect campsite. At Red Top Mountain, we chose campsite number 28. It was up on a hill, and there were large boulders surrounding it. I like big rocks as long as they are on the same level as I am. When I'm at the bottom of a hill and they are up above me, it scares me to death. I have so many fears that I'm surprised that I don't wear at Gary's patience. He must REALLY love me to put up with all my odd ways. It rained lightly during our first two days at the park. Gary went antique shopping to pass the time. I got hooked on a TV channel called BUZZR (yes, that's the way it's spelled). They show old game shows 24/7, and I got to see all kinds of shows that I have heard of but never saw. Some were made well before I was born. What fun! The wind was blowing pretty hard, and it was downright cold as 2016 arrived. The rain finally stopped on January 1st also. YAY!!! Gary decided to participate in the 3.5 mile First Day Hike. So did a lot of other people. He counted 65 people that started the hike. Some wimped out as the hike continued on, but 3.5 miles is nothing for Gary anymore. He often walks 8 to 10 miles a day in downtown St. Augustine when we're home. When the hike was over, he earned his First Day Hike badge, and felt like he had started the year off on a positive note. He spent most of the rest of the day taking pictures in the park and hanging out with me. When we arrived on Wednesday, nobody was camping near us. By Friday, the loop was filled. There were at least a dozen screaming kids, and that was a bit unnerving. We highly suspect that the kids were responsible for stealing our pink plastic flamingos that have traveled with us for years. Gary searched for them all around the park, but could never find them. In all of our years of camping, this is the first time that anything has ever been stolen from us. I'm going to miss our little pink camping buddies. Gary's sister and her husband visited with us on Saturday. Late in the day, Gary drove into Cartersville for supplies and ice, and stopped by to see Kevin and Joyce Laird. Kevin is a Facebook friend of Gary's that he has never actually met. They had a nice visit. We headed south from Red Top Mountain on Sunday. It was too long of a ride to come all the way home to St. Augustine. We didn't know exactly where we were going to end up for the night. Our plan was to stop wherever and whenever we felt like it. I'll tell you where we stopped in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment