Thursday, December 29, 2011

Ochlockonee River State Park, Part 2






My Christmas morning wake-up call was a from a squirrel running around on my roof. He apparently jumped down from a nearby branch, then couldn't figure out how to get back up there. After several minutes of running laps, he disappeared. Gary had a pile of presents for me, as I mentioned in a previous posting. After giving me my gifts, and opening up a few of his own that he got from family and friends, he made breakfast and then headed out on his bike for a long ride. He revisited the area he had been to the previous day, then rode back along the river trail. After an hour or so back at the campsite, he ditched the bike and walked the trail for about two miles in the opposite direction. Along the way, he came across something that neither of us had ever seen before...WHITE squirrels! They were all over the park, and a bunch of them finally found their way to our campsite so I could see them too. SO cool!!! Between all the bike riding and hiking, I think Gary was a bit tired. He hung out at the campsite the rest of the evening, read State Park literature, and listened to his iPod. After dinner and a nice warm shower, it was movie time for the remainder of the evening. The night flew by, and it was time to pack up and go. I always hate to leave a campground, and leaving this one was especially sad. For a final bit of fun, Gary towed me through one of the long hiking/driving trails that he had previously walked. It was the first time I had ever done any off-roading. It was a bit scary at times, but kind of fun too. We will definitely come back to Ochlockonee State Park again, as long as we can stay in our beloved campsite #19. It was AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment