Sunday, December 7, 2014

Inside Fort Clinch

It hasn't been good picture taking weather here at Fort Clinch. Things looked pretty good when we arrived late Thursday, but Friday and Saturday was SUPER foggy and wet. Gary went antique shopping on both days. Thankfully we have good TV reception here, since it was so foggy that I couldn't even see the squirrels in the trees. I caught up with all the shows I missed, and caught up on some sleep too. Today (Sunday), the fog lifted, but it was overcast and REALLY windy. Temperatures dropped drastically as well. Gary made up for his days without taking pictures, and snapped over a hundred of them at the fort this morning. It's only $2 admission, and it looks like some great entertainment. The building of the fort began around 1847, but it was never totally finished. There was supposed to be 77 weapons installed, but there was never more than 29. Only 10 of the original cannons are still on site. It was used during the Civil War, again in 1898 in a war with Spain, and for the final time, during World War II as a surveillance and communications base in a joint operation between the Coast Guard, the Army, and the Navy. The State Of Florida bought the fort and surrounding property in 1935, and the Civilian Conservation Corps developed the property into Ft. Clinch State Park. I'm not much of a history buff, but found all of that information out by reading the park brochure. I actually know more about it than Gary does! Anyway, Gary had a fun time checking out the fort. Later, he spent over four hours walking the beaches within the park. The persistent winds didn't slow him down at all. I normally share pictures of the park with you. If I remember right, I did that the last time we were here. So, I decided to dedicate this post to a look inside Ft. Clinch. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of what it's like. I hope you'll enjoy them. We head home tomorrow, regroup for a couple of days, and head back out for round three of our camping season on Thursday. My next post will be from Lake Kissimmee State Park, a place we've never been to before. Or, if something exciting happens between now and then, I'll post even sooner. Have a TERRIFIC week, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment