Thursday, December 18, 2014

Lake Kissimmee State Park: Our First Visit

Hey, Y'all. Sorry for the delay in posting, but internet connections have been a big problem on this trip. Atmospheric conditions must be good at the moment. This is the first time I've been able to get online and download pictures since we've been on the road. A lot has happened, all fun of course, and I have a bunch of things to tell you about. We are currently at Sebastian Inlet State Park. I'll eventually get to that part of our journey, but for now, I need to start at the beginning. We arrived at Lake Kissimmee State Park near Lake Wales, FL. last Thursday. That was December 11th, 2014 if you're keeping track. It was our first visit to that beautiful park, and we were quite impressed. Not knowing how the campsites actually looked in person, Gary picked out campsite #56 for us via the Florida State Parks website. It wasn't the best campsite we ever had, but it was more than suitable for our three night stay. I was mainly in the shade, and had a good view of the campground road. Several nice people stopped by to look me over. I don't look my best right now since Gary hasn't had a chance to polish me up and replace my dented entry door, but I still look decent for a 42 year old trailer. All of the state parks are different, and that's why it's so much fun to go to them. Lake Kissimmee reminded Gary and I of our favorite Florida park, Paynes Prairie. It had the same feel to it. Just like at Fort Clinch State Park where we recently stayed, it was a three mile ride from the ranger station to the campground. The long and winding road (no intentional reference to The Beatles song), took us through a forest of saw palmettos and pine trees. That's pretty typical scenery through a lot of Florida. Wildlife was abundant, and we saw all kinds of animals while we were there. It's unusual that animals, other than squirrels and raccoons, are brave or tame enough to walk right through the campsites, but that was common at Lake Kissimmee. I was amazed. Gary thoroughly explored the park, and spent one day antique shopping in Lake Wales and Winter Haven. He had a great time doing both. I will show you more of the park and all the cool animals in my next posts. I'm going to keep writing while the internet is working. Back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment