Friday, April 5, 2013

A Little Rain Won't Dampen Our Spirits

Sadly, our stay at General Coffee State Park had come to an end. We pulled out of our campsite around 10AM, and headed towards our next destination at George L. Smith State Park. It had rained lightly for most of our last night at General Coffee, and continued into the new day. Gary had already packed up most of our outdoor camping supplies, so he didn't get too wet in prepping me for our trip. That's good, because a dry Gary is a happy Gary. Since rain was in the forecast for the entire day over the area we were traveling to, we were in no hurry to get there. Our first stop was in Alma, Georgia, at an antique store called "Diamonds And Dirt". Gary enjoyed looking at the wide variety of antiques and collectibles they had, and bought a couple of things he "couldn't live without". It's funny how often he uses that phrase. The owner of the shop is a very nice lady named Elaine, and as it turned out, she and I have something in common. Both of us were born in Ashburn, Georgia. She was familiar with the old Serro Scotty factory where I came from. How cool is that? I've never met a human that was born in the same town as me. A few trailers, yes, but never a human. Elaine took a few minutes away from her shop, and came across the street to check me out. She's a Sweetheart! Gary looked through a couple of other antique stores in Alma, and then we headed north. In Baxley, Georgia, we stopped at another antique store. Gary was disappointed he didn't find anything good there, but I guess a person can't find something he "can't live without" at every stop. We passed through several little towns along the way, including the tiny town of Santa Claus, Georgia. Even though it was drizzling rain, Gary felt the need to stop and take a picture of the welcome sign. I'll bet that's a popular town during Christmas. We finally arrived at George L. Smith State Park around 4PM, and yes, it was still raining. After checking in, we picked out campsite #8 for our three-night stay. Most all of the campsites here are right along the edge of the 412 acre lake, and ours is no exception. I don't think I've ever seen trees growing out of a lake, but there is LOTS of that here. Other than being a bit muddy when we arrived, our campsite is a nice one. It's different than any that I've ever been in before, that's for sure. Gary got a little more wet than he wanted to while setting me up, but he didn't complain too much. I think he was just happy to have gotten here safe and sound. There were definitely some wacko drivers on the road. I'll post some pics of the place soon, but for now, I just want the rain to stop. This is getting old!

No comments:

Post a Comment