Monday, April 15, 2013

Paynes Prairie: As Comfortable As Home

I didn't think it would take much persuasion on my part to get Gary to take me camping again. He wanted to end our camping season in a fun place, and since Hunting Island in South Carolina was such a bummer, we obviously needed to go out one more time. So, we have returned to Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park. The park is only about 75 miles from home, and is absolutely our favorite inland Florida State Park. There are only two parks that we've ever been to, where we feel as comfortable in them as we do at home. General Coffee in Georgia is one, and Paynes Prairie is the other. Gary and I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time we are here. Eager to get here early and begin our three day stay, we checked in at 8:30 this morning. Luckily, whoever was in our campsite last night, packed up and left before we arrived. We made our way to campsite #17. We have never stayed in this campsite before, but it is a GREAT one. I'm under a canopy of trees, and had very little sun to contend with. As a bonus for Gary's aging bladder (poor guy), the restroom is directly across the street. You know how much I love squirrels, and there's more here than I've been able to count. That kept me busy while Gary bopped over to Smiley's Antique Mall to do some browsing. When he returned, both of us took a nap for awhile. We didn't get much sleep last night, as is typical before we go camping. We're just too excited to sleep. When we were here last time, it was cold enough to run the heater. This time, Gary brought along the air conditioner. Even though there is always plenty of foliage here, there is even more now that spring has arrived. We haven't seen it this "green" before. Gary isn't planning to do much while we're here. He has fully explored the park during our past visits, so I'm pretty sure there will be much more relaxation in store this time. Fine with me. Maybe I can get him to hang out here with me and count squirrels. That would be fun! Whatever we do, we know we will enjoy our time here at Paynes Prairie. It's AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment