Monday, April 8, 2013

Our Last Day At Hunting Island State Park....YAY!!!

Normally, I'm kind of sad when we have to leave a park to head home. But in the case of Hunting Island, I honestly can't wait. Gary was on the phone today for over an hour with both Reserve America and the South Carolina Parks Department, and he cut no corners in telling them how pathetic this park is. All I know is that our campsite is kind of shabby, and that the roads throughout the park put my new suspension to the ultimate test. Gary has seen much more of the run-down condition of this place than I have. He spent a couple of hours late this afternoon walking the beach. There are sections of it that look pretty, and there are sections of it with downed trees and debris that you don't dare walk on without wearing shoes. There are many undermined tall trees that are just waiting to fall. I guess it will take one of them to kill somebody before they do anything about the potential hazard. The park service claimed that the problems that Gary told them about are not typical of what South Carolina Parks have to offer. But, this park has high ratings and is really bad, so can you believe anything they have to say? I've posted pictures that make this place look pretty good, which just goes to prove you can put makeup on a pig. I figured I've said enough bad things about it, that I didn't need to post depressing pictures as well. And Gary took MANY pictures of the ugliness here. Well, enough about that. I am hitched up to the van, and with just a few last minute things to do in the morning, Gary and I will be ready to go home. It's a shame we had to end our camping season on a bad note, but that's the luck of the draw I guess. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment