Sunday, November 16, 2014

Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge, Imlac Georgia

I've never been through a covered bridge before. Heck, I've never even SEEN a covered bridge until last week, but now I have. I guess I can cross that off my bucket list! This fine example is located in Imlac Georgia, not far from Woodbury, the town that Gary's sister and brother-in-law live in. They told Gary about the bridge, and he knew I would like to see it, so we stopped by to check it out on the way to Woodbury. The bridge was built in the 1840's by freed slave Horace King. Horace built many covered bridges in western Georgia, but this is the last surviving one. It is the oldest and longest wooden covered bridge in Georgia. Don't laugh, but I was kind of scared to actually go all the way through it. Although it seemed strong enough, there was something about it that made me nervous. I only went in as far as you can see in the pictures, then Gary backed me out. Luckily for photo opportunities, traffic on the small back road that the bridge is located on is almost non-existent. Dan, Gary's brother-in-law, is the Commander of the local American Legion, and they recently adopted the bridge. Picnic areas have been set up on both ends of the bridge, making the approaches a nice place to take a break and have a snack while enjoying the beauty of the bridge itself. It was cool to go there and see it, and next time I won't be such a wimp about crossing the aging wooden span. I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment