Saturday, August 13, 2011

Factory To Farm




I just KNEW that Gary was planning a trip for us, but he kept quiet about the details. I had sat in the garage for a couple of weeks with only my memories of Serena and our nine state trip to occupy my time. November 10th arrived, and suddenly there was a flurry of activity going on. I was cleaned and packed for another adventure, but to where? Gary hitched me up the next morning, and off we went. Just like during the Ohio trip, we made our way to I-75 and headed north into Georgia. At exit 82, Gary left the interstate and took me down a small road to an abandoned building. I didn't realize it at first, but we were in Ashburn, Georgia, and this old building was the former Serro Scotty factory where I was born. No wonder he didn't tell me where we were going. He wanted to surprise me, and what a surprise it was. There had been a pool company in the building most recently, but they had moved on. The place looked sad, highly unlike it did in 1972 when I was there last. There was a tall fence around the place, but Gary got me as close as he could on the interstate side, and took my picture. I sure wish we could have gone inside for a look around. So much history was made inside those walls. I'll have to admit that I shed a few tears. It was a rush of emotions to see the old place. Thank you Gary for taking me there. You're the greatest! We returned to the interstate and headed north to exit 109, then headed west until we came to US19. We headed north on US19 to Thomaston. Gary had called ahead, and his sister Pat and her husband Dan were waiting for us there at the local Wal-Mart. They had bought a farm in nearby Woodbury earlier in the year. Pat, Dan, and Gary had lunch at Zaxby's, and then we all headed to the farm. We would be staying for 5 nights. I had never been on a farm before, so I didn't know what to expect. But everyday is a new adventure, and you know how much I love adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment