Tuesday, August 2, 2011

On The Edge




Ah, the moment I've been waiting for....the installation of my new edge strips. Using the same butyl tape that he used around my windows, Gary carefully put the shiny new trim into place. He used exterior deck screws for the job. They have coarse threads like drywall screws, but are treated for outdoor conditions. Once all the screws were in, he silicone caulked over the screw heads for a good, tight, weatherproof seal. These edge strips were different than my originals were. They had a channel to accept a vinyl trim insert. Since Gary chose red to be my trim color, he found some red insert trim on eBay that would be perfect. The insert trim also acts as an additional barrier to block out water. MUCH nicer than my original flat trim. Gary only used a total of 130 screws to attach the strips, far less than the 310 my previous owner had used in my old strips. The 3rd photo shows a small sample of what the insert trim would look like once installed. I was really looking forward to seeing my other trim pieces painted red. It was early September when these pictures were taken, so only about a month away from our camping trip. I was trying to be patient, but it was SO hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment