Sunday, August 7, 2011

The "Ten State Tour" Begins




The renovation work was over, the packing was done, and it was time to hit the road. Monday, October 11th was FINALLY here. We left the Green Acres Garage before daylight, made our way across Florida on I-10 to I-75, and headed north into Georgia. The van was running well, but Gary was a bit concerned that the temperature gauge was reading a little warmer than usual. We stopped at every state line on the entire trip, and Gary took a photo of me at each one. He also bought me one of those little plastic bicycle license plates from each state, and lettered them with my name after we got home. These are fun and inexpensive souveneirs. We made our way through Georgia, Tennessee, and well into Kentucky. The van ran warmer and warmer as we headed into steeper inclines. Gary's mild concern turned to genuine worry. He couldn't find anything visibly wrong, but he kept a close eye on the temperature gauge. We stopped several times in Tennessee and Kentucky to let the van cool off. Night was in full swing as we approached Lexington, Kentucky. Gary began looking for a rest stop, and found one north of Lexington. We parked there among the 18-wheelers. We had travelled 819 miles on that first day. I was tired and I know Gary was too. Even with the noises of the big-rigs coming and going, we slept fairly well. I was more than a little intimidated by being so tiny and sleeping between those big trucks. But hey, I was doing me some camping and that's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment